SharePoint Workspace 2010 is the new name for and succeeds Microsoft Office Groove 2007. SharePoint Workspace 2010 is a client application that provides fast, any-time interactive access to document libraries and lists on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010. SharePoint Workspace 2010 also provides options for creating Groove peer workspaces and Shared Folder workspaces. SharePoint Workspace 2010 is more versatile than Microsoft Office Groove 2007 and can be integrated with Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 or can run independently. Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010 provides a client for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 that enables real-time synchronization of desktop content with SharePoint documents and lists. SharePoint Workspace 2010 also provides options for creating Groove collaboration workspaces and synchronized shared folders. By using SharePoint Workspace 2010, information workers can easily synchronize online and offline content with a designated SharePoint site or collaborate with external partners and offsite team members through shared workspaces. SharePoint Workspace 2010 is included with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.
Key features of SharePoint Workspace 2010 include the following:
A choice of workspace types:
- SharePoint workspaces — Provide direct bi-directional synchronization of library and list content between a SharePoint site and a workspace on an individual client computer. Creation of a SharePoint workspace enables individual SharePoint users to check out and check in SharePoint library documents from their local computers, bring SharePoint documents and lists to their computers where they can work online or offline, and synchronize local content with a SharePoint site. When an individual client establishes a connection with a SharePoint server, synchronization occurs at regular intervals when the client is online. When a client cannot connect to a SharePoint site, the user can easily take work offline to make updates. The updated documents are automatically synchronized with SharePoint document libraries and lists when the user reconnects. This interface offers an efficient and satisfying alternative to browser access of SharePoint. Unlike other workspace types, the SharePoint workspace is a personal synchronized copy of a SharePoint site.
- Groove workspaces — Provide a rich and secure peer collaboration environment that supports synchronization of content among peer client computers that host a shared workspace. Creation of a Groove workspace enables SharePoint Workspace users to quickly form teams and automatically synchronize online or offline contributions with fellow team members. A full set of collaboration tools lets team members schedule meetings, hold discussions, and share work with trusted partners around the world. Support for communications under various network conditions and across firewalls facilitates timely and effective collaboration.
- Shared Folder workspaces — Support Windows folder sharing among clients. Creation of a Shared Folder workspace lets information workers share the contents of a common folder in a designated Windows Explorer directory.
- Easy setup Windows users can easily download and run SharePoint Workspace 2010 without IT assistance.
- Offline and online collaboration Information workers can easily synchronize online and offline work, through a SharePoint workspace, Groove workspace, or Shared Folder workspace. Content is synchronized dynamically among online collaboration points and updates are transmitted immediately when an offline client comes back online. When an offline client reconnects, SharePoint Workspace automatically adds offline contributions to the workspace and applies workspace updates to the previously offline client.
- Integration with Windows logon SharePoint Workspace 2010 uses Windows logon credentials to authenticate users so that a separate logon is not necessary.
- Common file dialog boxes Windows technology enables Microsoft Office 2010 users to directly open and save files in SharePoint Workspace.
When you install Microsoft Office 2010 package, you will get a program, which is Sharepoint workspace 2010, which is the replacement of Grove and the installation as follows
If you have a SPS domain in your domain network, use your own login credential only.
Once the Sync is completed, you can now use your doman SharePoint Site offline and online.
For Setting modification, use the File menu and do the needful
SharePoint Workspace operates with a recommeded maximum number of synchronized documents – 10,000. Synchronizing extremely large document libraries, such as a Document Center, is not supported.
SharePoint Workspace also has limited support for metadata extensions to the document library. BDC Fields based on Business Connectivity Services – tagging documents based on external datasources – is not supported, and libraries that use BDC field definitions cannot be synced to Workspace. On the other hand, Managed Metadata fields (MMS) can be included in synchronized libraries. SharePoint Workspace is able to view, but not modify, field values based on MMS term stores.
To Download SharePoint Workspace 2010: Groove Web Services Software Development Kit, Click here.
Awaiting for this product from Microsoft is over, Communications Server 2010, also called Wave 14 – renamed to Microsoft Lync Server 2010. Microsoft has announced that the new 2010 edition has been released to manufacturing (RTM). The official launch event was on November 17th 2010, so I am sure now that those who have Software assurance, will be downloading now and preparing for the installation/migration.
Microsoft Lync Server 2010 communications software offers instant messaging (IM), presence, conferencing, and telephony solutions that can support enterprise-level collaboration requirements. This is only available in 64-bit edition , it requires 64-bit hardware and the 64-bit edition of the Windows Server operating system. Client computers does not required to have 64-bit hardware or software.
Features and capabilities of Microsoft Lync Server 2010 communications software clients in the following categories:
- Contacts and groups
- Instant messaging
- External user support
- Mobile access
- Archiving and compliance
- Publish your photo using sharepoint and others can view your pictures on their client
- Lync client can now join the Live meeting
- Administrative jobs have to be done through Microsoft Lync Shell Command
- Basic configurations through web control panel
- Branch office resilency call route feature
- Virtualized topology of Microsoft Lync Server 2010
- Active Directory for storing Lync server configurtaion has been moved into a new database server Central Management Server which hosts Central Management Store db. in SQL…but some of the info like SIP URI and phone numbers are still in AD.
- Mediation Server can route calls to Multiple Gateways..sounds nice
- The Lync clients can now be directly updated using windows software update service or windows update.
- ……more to go…i will update you over here
Tech•Ed North America 2010 ( New Orleans, June 7-10th) is done and they disclosed Communications Server “14” features and functionality during the event. You can catch presentation on-demand at Tech•Ed Online..Whats new in Communication 14 Video
Microsoft Communications ‘14’ really delivers on that promise of a more connected experience for people that want to stay plugged in to what’s going on, even when they are not there. The new collab experience is great. Having PowerPoint, the RoundTable view, and IM all in one view is great.