As a system integrator, My company, Elcome is well aware of the technologies available to make our clients lives easier…The deployment of Microsoft Dynamics has also had a major impact on the company’s ability to operate. “One big area that we’ve been able to focus on is reporting, in terms of KPIs and business intelligence. There have been a lot of advances in Dynamics and the supporting tools to make it easier to produce different types of reports, and the ability to allow end users to customise, specifically things like SQL reporting services that are part of SQL 2008. We were using an old version of Microsoft Dynamics GP. Two versions old in fact,” we realises. “When we upgraded to the latest version – and I think we were one of their first customers to go live with the latest version which is Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 – we also moved to the latest versions of all the underlying technology. That includes the latest version of Microsoft SQL Server 2010. We’ve also moved from 32-bit to 64-bit servers. Everything is now running on 64bit hardware and software.” – explains executive director at Elcome International, Jimmy Grewal…more information read the following article published by ITP publishers on ACN Magazine By Ben Furfie Published May 10, 2011, May 2011 issue..click here to read more
The Microsoft® SharePoint® 2010 Administration Toolkit contains functionality to help administer and manage Microsoft® SharePoint® Foundation 2010 and Microsoft® SharePoint® Server 2010. New in SharePoint 2010 Administration Toolkit 2.0, the SharePoint Diagnostic Studio 2010 (SPDiag 3.0) provides SharePoint administrators with a unified interface that can be used to gather relevant information from a farm, display the results in a meaningful way, identify performance issues, and share or export the collected data and reports for analysis by Microsoft support personnel. This tool is not supported for SharePoint Foundation 2010. Security Configuration Wizard (SCW) manifests, which add roles for SharePoint 2010 Products to Windows Server 2008 with Service Pack 2 or to Windows Server 2008 R2.
More info and to download this, click here
SharePoint Workspace 2010 is the new name for and succeeds Microsoft Office Groove 2007. SharePoint Workspace 2010 is a client application that provides fast, any-time interactive access to document libraries and lists on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010. SharePoint Workspace 2010 also provides options for creating Groove peer workspaces and Shared Folder workspaces. SharePoint Workspace 2010 is more versatile than Microsoft Office Groove 2007 and can be integrated with Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 or can run independently. Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010 provides a client for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 that enables real-time synchronization of desktop content with SharePoint documents and lists. SharePoint Workspace 2010 also provides options for creating Groove collaboration workspaces and synchronized shared folders. By using SharePoint Workspace 2010, information workers can easily synchronize online and offline content with a designated SharePoint site or collaborate with external partners and offsite team members through shared workspaces. SharePoint Workspace 2010 is included with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.
Key features of SharePoint Workspace 2010 include the following:
A choice of workspace types:
- SharePoint workspaces — Provide direct bi-directional synchronization of library and list content between a SharePoint site and a workspace on an individual client computer. Creation of a SharePoint workspace enables individual SharePoint users to check out and check in SharePoint library documents from their local computers, bring SharePoint documents and lists to their computers where they can work online or offline, and synchronize local content with a SharePoint site. When an individual client establishes a connection with a SharePoint server, synchronization occurs at regular intervals when the client is online. When a client cannot connect to a SharePoint site, the user can easily take work offline to make updates. The updated documents are automatically synchronized with SharePoint document libraries and lists when the user reconnects. This interface offers an efficient and satisfying alternative to browser access of SharePoint. Unlike other workspace types, the SharePoint workspace is a personal synchronized copy of a SharePoint site.
- Groove workspaces — Provide a rich and secure peer collaboration environment that supports synchronization of content among peer client computers that host a shared workspace. Creation of a Groove workspace enables SharePoint Workspace users to quickly form teams and automatically synchronize online or offline contributions with fellow team members. A full set of collaboration tools lets team members schedule meetings, hold discussions, and share work with trusted partners around the world. Support for communications under various network conditions and across firewalls facilitates timely and effective collaboration.
- Shared Folder workspaces — Support Windows folder sharing among clients. Creation of a Shared Folder workspace lets information workers share the contents of a common folder in a designated Windows Explorer directory.
- Easy setup Windows users can easily download and run SharePoint Workspace 2010 without IT assistance.
- Offline and online collaboration Information workers can easily synchronize online and offline work, through a SharePoint workspace, Groove workspace, or Shared Folder workspace. Content is synchronized dynamically among online collaboration points and updates are transmitted immediately when an offline client comes back online. When an offline client reconnects, SharePoint Workspace automatically adds offline contributions to the workspace and applies workspace updates to the previously offline client.
- Integration with Windows logon SharePoint Workspace 2010 uses Windows logon credentials to authenticate users so that a separate logon is not necessary.
- Common file dialog boxes Windows technology enables Microsoft Office 2010 users to directly open and save files in SharePoint Workspace.
When you install Microsoft Office 2010 package, you will get a program, which is Sharepoint workspace 2010, which is the replacement of Grove and the installation as follows
If you have a SPS domain in your domain network, use your own login credential only.
Once the Sync is completed, you can now use your doman SharePoint Site offline and online.
For Setting modification, use the File menu and do the needful
SharePoint Workspace operates with a recommeded maximum number of synchronized documents – 10,000. Synchronizing extremely large document libraries, such as a Document Center, is not supported.
SharePoint Workspace also has limited support for metadata extensions to the document library. BDC Fields based on Business Connectivity Services – tagging documents based on external datasources – is not supported, and libraries that use BDC field definitions cannot be synced to Workspace. On the other hand, Managed Metadata fields (MMS) can be included in synchronized libraries. SharePoint Workspace is able to view, but not modify, field values based on MMS term stores.
To Download SharePoint Workspace 2010: Groove Web Services Software Development Kit, Click here.
• The new User Activity report displays the sites and site categories accessed by any user.
• All Forefront TMG reports have a new look and feel.
Enhancements to URL Filtering
• You can now allow users to override the access restriction on sites blocked by URL filtering. This allows for a more flexible web access policy, in that users can decide for themselves whether to access a blocked site. This is especially useful for websites that have been incorrectly categorized.
• You can now override the categorization of a URL on the enterprise level; the override is then effective for each enterprise-joined array.
• Denial notification pages can now be customized for your organization’s needs.
Enhanced Branch Office Support
• Collocation of Forefront TMG and a domain controller on the same server, which can help reduce the total cost of ownership at branch offices.
• When installed on a computer running Windows Server 2008 R2, SP1 simplifies the deployment of BranchCache at the branch office, using Forefront TMG as the Hosted Cache server.
Support for publishing SharePoint 2010
• Forefront TMG SP1 supports secure publishing of SharePoint 2010.
The Microsoft Forefront comprehensive line of business security products provides greater protection and control through integration with your existing IT infrastructure and through simplified deployment, management, and analysis. Microsoft Forefront helps you confidently meet ever-changing threats and increased business demands with highly responsive information protection and access control solutions supported by Microsoft technical guidance…last year was a greater start for microsoft with the new line of Longhorn products..like Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, R2, Office 2010, Sharepoint 2010, GP10, CRM4, now Forefront…the security product…which seems to be very well working with client side and server side…cool one…To download the forefront products, click here
Also The Forefront products include:
Forefront Client Security – anti-virus for file-level protection
Forefront Security for Office Communications Server – Antivirus for Corporate Instant Messaging
Forefront Security for Exchange – Antivirus for Exchange databases and email traffic
Forefront Security for SharePoint – Antivirus that integrates into SharePoint sites
Anywhere access to business data is now more easily available to Microsoft Dynamics ERP customers, enabled by a new technology spanning Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010 called Business Connectivity Services (BCS). By linking commonly used Microsoft Dynamics ERP information, such as customer or supplier contact details, to BCS, companies can access these details offline in Outlook 2010 or SharePoint Workspace 2010…Microsoft Office, Microsoft SharePoint Server and Microsoft Dynamics now share a common user interface — the Fluent user interface (UI) — that makes them more consistent to use and easier to adopt.
More information about Microsoft Dynamics and the business productivity infrastructure from Microsoft…Click here
The Edge is the place where you can get all the latest news on what’s happening with Microsoft Dynamics ERP. Whether it’s breaking news, cool customer stories, or general deep thoughts, this is the place where we start setting the agenda for the mid-market ERP industry
Begining of this month, for SQL Server Express users, Microsoft SQL express team has increased the maximum database size in SQL Server 2008 R2 Express from 4GB to 10GB….hurrayyyyyyy. SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Tools and SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services will allow 10GB databases as well….the database size limit is the only limit they updated in SQL Server 2008 R2 Express. SQL Server 2008 R2 Express is still limited to 1 CPU and 1 GB or RAM. the database size limit in previous versions of SQL Server Express (including SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL Server 2008 Express) stays unchanged at 4GB.. To download the latest SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Click here and select the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express from the Left pannel.
Thanks to Todd Klindt’s SharePoint Admin Blog for demonstrating the upgrade procedure to SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.
Users who wants to know more about SharePoint 2010…i’ve come across few links which i want to share with you all…!!!
Running SharePoint 2010 Server running on Windows 2008 R2, Virtual Machine
On the application event…following error even keep on comming…
Load control template file /_controltemplates/TaxonomyPicker.ascx failed:
Locate the file “TaxonomyPicker.ascx” in the Controltemplates directory of the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\CONTROL TEMPLATES\ and search for the following line Control className="TaxonomyPickerControl" .... locate ‘,’
and replace ‘,’ with ‘,’... and then save the file. This will resolve the error.